European Quartet One Melody

 
Kraków was an influential centre of Jewish spiritual life before the outbreak of World War II, with all its manifestations of religious observance from Orthodox, to Chasidic and Reform flourishing side by side. There were at least 90 synagogues in Kraków before the Nazi German invasion of Poland, serving its burgeoning Jewish community of 60,000–80,000 (out of the city's total population of 237,000), established in the 12’th century. Most synagogues of Kraków were ruined during World War II by the Nazis who used them as storehouses. The post-Holocaust Jewish population of the city dropped to 5,900 before the end of 1940s, and by 1978  - to a 600. In recent time, thanks to the efforts of the local Jewish and Polish organizations many synagogues underwent major restorations.
The synagogues of Kraków represent virtually all European architectural styles of the past millennium: Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclassicism and Modernism.

Active synagogues:   Remuh Synagogue, Tempel Synagogue

The Remuh Synagogue also on Szeroka Street, currently the only functioning synagogue in the city, is the most interesting of all Kraków's synagogues.  It was founded in 1556 by a royal banker, Izrael son of Joseph, for his own son the great rabbi Moses Isserles also known as Remuh, who already in his youth was famed for his erudition. There are also a Remuh Cemetery named after him, and the mikvah.
The Tempel Synagogue on Miodowa Street was designed in the 1860’s on the pattern of the Leopoldstädter Tempel in Vienna, at a time when Kraków was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Synagogue in KrakowSynagogue in Krakow

Inactive synagogues:  Old Synagogue, Wolf Popper Synagogue, Izaak Jakubowicz Synagogue, High Synagogue, Kupa Synagogue.

The Old Synagogue on Szeroka Street, is the oldest Jewish house of prayer in Poland, built in 1407. Nowadays, the synagogue serves as the Jewish History Museum, a Division of the Historical Museum of Kraków. The museum features numerous items related to religious ceremonie and a considerable collection of books including 2,500 volumes of Hebrew manuscripts and prints. On the walls are original oil paintings.   
                Wolf Popper is another synagogue located on Szeroka Street. It serves as an exhibition house.
Equally notable are the High Synagogue on Kupa Street, built in 1556-1563 in a Romanesque style, and the Kupa Synagogue, founded in 1643 by the Jewish district’s kehilla (a municipal self-government), the Isaak Jakubowicz Synagogue built in 1644, is located on Warszauera Street, and On Józefa Street, there’s the Kowea Itim le-Tora House of Prayer built in 1810, owned once by the Society for the Study of the Torah hence its name.
 

Poland


 

European Quartet Countries

PolskaCzech republicSlovakiaHungaryEuropean Quartet Map 
 
Discover Central Europe
Watch our Channel on
 

Newsletter

Would you like to receive news?
 

 
 
Copyright © 2010 CzechTourism | Created by: Sprinx System