European Quartet One Melody

 
St. Mary's Church (the Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary) is a Roman Catholic church in Gdańsk.  It is the largest brick church in the world.  
Its construction began in 1379.  Between 1536 and 1572 St. Mary's Church was used for Roman Catholic and Lutheran services alike.  From the 16’th century until 1945, when the German Danzig became the Polish Gdańsk, it was the largest Lutheran church in the world. It is 105.5 metres long, and the nave is 66 metres wide. Inside the church is room for 25,000 people. It is an aisled hall church with a transept.   In 1965, by papal bull, Pope Paul VI elevated the church to the dignity of the basilica.  The church was severely damaged in World War II  during the storming of the city by the Russian  Red Army in 1945.  The wooden roof burned,  most of the ceiling fell in, 14 large vaults collapsed, the windows were destroyed, part of the bricks melted from heat, thebells crashed down when their bell cages collapsed in the fire.
St. Mary’s Church in Gdańsk

St. Mary's Church is a triple-aisled hall church with a triple-aisled transept. Both the transept and the main nave are of similar width and height, which is a good example of late gothical style. The vaulting is a true piece of art. The two bells were founded in  1970 - the larger one is called Gratia Dei and weighs 7,850 kilograms; the smaller one is the so-called Ave Maria and weighs 2,600 kilograms.
The exterior is dominated by plain brick plains and narrow gothical arch windows.  From it’s tower one can admire a beautiful view of city of Gdańsk.
 

Poland


 

European Quartet Countries

PolskaCzech republicSlovakiaHungaryEuropean Quartet Map 
 
Watch our Channel on
 

Newsletter

Would you like to receive news?
 

 
 
Copyright © 2010 CzechTourism | Cookies Privacy policy